Yougeshwar Deonarain (Derick ), originally from Guyana, South America is now playing cricket with Kópavogur Cricket Club, the only Cricket Club in Iceland. He is Captain of Iceland National Cricket Team. He was Playing for Albion Cricket Club in Guyana Country. Kópavogur Cricket Club was formed in September 2014 with an intention of spreading Cricket in Iceland. Derick, who is now working at the Hilton Hotel in Reykjavik.
1. Tell us about you?
Yougeshwar Deonarain (Derick), originally from Guyana, South America and is now playing cricket with Kópavogur Cricket Club, the only cricket club in Iceland, and also the captain of the Iceland Cricket Team.
Full Name: Yougeshwar Deonarain
Date of Birth: 22 August 1992
Playing Role: All-rounder
Batting Style: Left-hand
Bowling Style: Right hand off spin
Address: Hverfisgata 101A, 101 Reykjavik
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
A cricket player and the captain of the team.
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
Yes, I have been playing cricket since I was 11 years old. I have represented my country at under 15 and under 17.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
Yes, I was playing for Albion Cricket Club in my country and now am playing for Kópavogur Cricket club in Iceland. I am working at the Hilton Hotel in Reykjavík.
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
I would not have dreamed to think that I would be playing cricket in Iceland. Now we have a full team that trains twice a week and have lined up games for the summer. In
5 years’ time I hope we can procure some long term training facilities and increase the number of teams so we can have national competitions. The main focus for us at the moment should be to play as much cricket as possible.
6. Do you have any website or facebook page? Mention their links.
We have a Facebook page called “Iceland Cricket Team”. https://www.facebook.com/icelandcricketteam
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
We have plenty of teams lined up to visit us in summer and in September we will be participating in the Pepsi Cup in Prague.
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
Yes, I would love to go to India for a tournament or even a coaching camp. And also to England.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
Obviously, the weather is a big obstacle here in Iceland. It is very difficult to predict when it will rain and because of our long winters and short summers we only have a few months to play outdoors. The indoor training facilities we are currently using are not very practical for cricket as it is designed for football and the balls often get stuck in the roof.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
We need to put some advertisement about our cricket in Iceland and to get more sponsors.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country. Also, mention the name and email id of these 3 clubs.
1. Albion Cricket Club
2. Rose Hall Cricket Club
3. Port Mourant Cricket Club
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
The only existing club in Iceland is the Kópavogur Cricket Club.